The Clinical Research Unit (CRU), a component of the Center for Applied Research Sciences (CARS), operates as an in-patient and out-patient clinical research unit for studies that require more “intense” nursing services than the studies performed in the Clinical Trials Unit (CTU) or that require an inpatient stay.
Services & Resources
Facilities, Equipment and Staffing
- Outpatient and extended visiting area consisting of 6 rooms and 12 semi-private beds staffed 24 hours a day (as research necessitates)
- Staffed by Registered Nurses (with ACLS and/or PALS, NRP, IATA, AHA CPR instructor certified), DEXA technicians and medical assistants to assist PIs and study staff with clinical assistance as well as with development of research orders and source documents for studies.
- Routine research nursing services and specialized protocol-required procedures, subject monitoring and phlebotomy
- Specimen processing and short-term storage area
- Bionutrition services and a full metabolic research kitchen for meal preparation (see the Lifestyle and Intervention Research Core for more information)
- Body composition analysis by using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry
A skilled research nursing staff experienced in implementing sophisticated clinical studies is available to assist in or perform a variety of services. For details see the nursing services page.
Specimen Processing Services
- +4°C Storage
- -20°C Storage
- -70°C Storage
- 1 Week Storage
- 1 Month Storage
- Specimen shipping
See the Lifestyle Intervention Research Core (LIRC) for information about nutrition services.
Body Composition Services
Measurement of body composition and bone density by using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) are available through the CARS CRU. Assessment of body composition in adolescents can also be performed in the CRU. For more information, click here.
Core Laboratory for Clinical Studies (CLCS)
The CLIA-certified CLCS focuses on providing high-quality, cost-effective testing for clients who have studies of all sizes and complexities.
Facilities & Other Resources
Access the standard description of CRU facilities and other resources for grant application purposes.