The Clinical Trials Unit (CTU), a component of the Center for Applied Research Sciences (CARS), is an outpatient research unit that offers dedicated research space, equipment, and nursing support for a wide range of clinical studies, particularly multi-center clinical trials. The CTU generally supports studies that are outpatient directed and require less intensive measurements and procedures than those conducted in the Clinical Research Unit. The unit consists of six outpatient exam rooms, three long term rooms to accommodate infusions or PK sampling, two phlebotomy rooms, laboratory specimen processing and packing area with access to dry ice, and temporary workspaces for Clinical Research Coordinators, Monitors and PIs. In addition, we have daily FedEx, UPS and Quest pickup.
Services & Resources
CTU Facilities and Equipment
- Six outpatient exam rooms with basic equipment with staffing outlined below
- Two phlebotomy rooms
- Laboratory specimen processing and packing area
- Temperature monitored, locked medication refrigerator, -80, -20 freezers for temporary short term sample storage
- Temporary workspaces for Clinical Research Coordinators, Monitors and PIs
- Three long-term lounges for extended visits and/or IV infusions
- Additional equipment including scale, access to emergency cart, portable ECG machine, IV infusion pumps, pulse oximeter
- All equipment is calibrated annually
- Outpatient exam rooms staffed by five Nurses (ACLS certified) and five Medical Assistants to assist PIs and study staff during service hours. Out-patient studies that start earlier or end later can be accommodated by special arrangement with the unit administrator. All staff have current BLS and IATA certification.
- Research Nurse Coordinators and Data Managers for-hire (either hourly or based on % FTE). The CTU currently has eight Clinical Research Coordinators who are RNs (3 ACRP certified) and three Research Patient Coordinator, providing study coordination from pre-site to close-out visit. For more information regarding the coordinators for-hire, please contact Teresa Arb at 314.747.1217 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Core Laboratory for Clinical Studies (CLCS)
The CLIA-certified CLCS focuses on providing high-quality, cost-effective testing for clients who have studies of all sizes and complexities.
Facilities & Other Resources
For a description of the CTU and other ICTS resources, see the Tools and Resources page.