Scientific Editing Service
WHAT IS THE SES
The Scientific Editing Service (SES) is supported by the ICTS and the Department of Medicine to work with ICTS Members to strengthen and clarify their extramural grant applications and manuscripts.
WHAT WE DO
We customize the following comprehensive editing services to meet the specific needs of your documents:
- correct grammatical and typographical errors
- improve sentence structure, paragraph organization, and flow
- strengthen the scientific significance and impact
- enhance scientific specificity
- identify inconsistencies
- improve formatting and headings
- reduce word count
- refine the language
There may be a waiting list during periods of high demand. When we begin working on your document, the editing will take two weeks or less in most cases. Editing improves grant applications / manuscripts, but does not guarantee funding / publication.
We triage editing requests. Grant proposals always have priority over manuscripts. Priority is given to applicants who
- have a record of previous engagement with ICTS programs and resources
- are early career track investigators moving toward independent investigator careers
- are faculty within the Department of Medicine
Early engagement with the SES improves your priority and enables sufficient time for optimum development of your grant application or manuscript.
This schematic of the SES workflow illustrates author and editor interactions during the editing process.
If you are ready to request scientific editing or a consultation, please submit a Service Request Form. You will receive an email with the SES Job Number after your request is accepted. One of the editors will contact you with further information when they begin working on your document.